Fiverr is one of the largest legit platforms for freelancers and for those looking to hire freelancers. Thousands of people use this platform to outsource their work and the experience for both buyers and freelancers vary. Some experiences are very good while others are bad.
Some are so bad for both groups to make people think Fiver is a scam but rest assured that this platform is legit. In case you’re looking to work in an independent manner or would like to hire freelancers to do certain tasks or take care of projects, this is a relatively good place to start your journey.
How great is Fiverr and how suitable it is for freelancers and buyers ? Well, that depends very much on what you’re looking to find. I use Fiverr very often and my experience has generally been good. Before creating a profile on Fiverr, you should take a closer look at the reviews available. This is very helpful and can give you a clue as to what kind of service to expect.
It might take a while to find a freelancer that does the job just right but in my case it was worth the effort. See what suits you and what could represent a problem, before investing time and resources into this solution.
What is Fiverr?
Fiverr is actually a marketplace for freelancers and people interested in hiring freelancers for various tasks and projects. Fiverr was founded in 2009 by Micha Kaufman. Basically, freelancers display their services and skills on this platform, and people hire them based on their needs.
Because it is a marketplace, diversity is very generous in terms of available services. You can basically find almost any kind of service here as long as that service can be easily outsourced. For freelancers, it is an interesting platform where they can create a profile, come up with an attractive portfolio, underline their most precious skills, and get hired by people who need the kind of services they have to offer.
The smallest price or gig value on Fiverr is $5. As you can tell, this aspect is reflected by the name of the marketplace. The idea was to give people a chance to get anything done with 5 bucks only. Of course, prices can go up depending on the services you are looking to get. But, as a general rule, you can find great gigs in a variety of domains for just $5.
As a freelancer, this will be your minimum price as well. So, the lowest price tag you can put on a gig, or service you are offering on Fiverr, is $5. Of course, don’t worry about it, as it is possible to increase the price according to the complexity of the services you are offering. We are going to talk about how Fiverr works, so you will get a better understand of what kind of opportunities you have if you decide to choose this freelancing marketplace.
How does Fiverr work for freelancers?
Let us start by taking a look at how Fiverr works for freelancers. After all, the platform was created to give people a chance to become financially independent by working remotely and doing what they like the most.
If you don’t know what kind of services to offer on Fiverr, you can start by taking a look at the marketplace from the point of view of a buyer and check out the available sections and sub-sections. You will see just how diverse the variety of freelancing opportunities are on Fiverr.
Creating a profile
To get started on Fiverr as a freelancer, you have to first create a profile. The process is pretty much as when you are putting together a resume. You will have to provide some contact details, information about yourself like education, training, skills, experience, and so on, and even upload a portfolio for your potential clients.
It is worth mentioning that subscribing and creating a profile on Fiverr is entirely free, so you won’t have to worry about paying subscriptions or membership fees.
But, when you will set up your account, you should link it to a bank account, credit card, or any other payment method you consider suitable. This way you can be paid for the services you offer and you can pay for services you buy.
How to start selling on Fiverr?
In order to sell your services, you will have to advertise them first, and that is possible with the help of a gig. A gig should have a title and short description, in which you tell clients what they will get if they pay the requested price. Just bear in mind that the number of words is limited, so make your gig’s description short and sweet.
The price of a gig can be between $5 and $995, depending on how much you offer, your experience, expertise, uniqueness, and other factors that can influence the price of that gig. Of course, you can also create special packages or come up with custom offers, based on the requests you receive from your clients.
So, invest a bit of time and effort in creating your gig or gigs, packages, and everything you consider that you can offer in exchange for your clients’ money. Take the gig as a sales pitch and do your best in writing it as it will count a lot when it comes to getting your clients.
Payments and feedback on fiverr
One of the biggest worries for freelancers is not getting paid for the job they performed. Fiverr has a very good system in place to insure that you get paid for your services.
For instance, when a buyer chooses your gig, he or she will have to actually pay for it in advance before they can specify to you the exact kind of service they want from you.
The money won’t reach you until the requested job is delivered, but the money is somewhere in the middle, as Fiverr makes sure the client has the required sum of money into his or her account. Once you deliver and everything is okay, you will receive the money you worked for.
However, do bear in mind that Fiverr works on a rating system as well. This means that you will have to work hard in order to build a great reputation if you want to earn good amounts of money and create a career on Fiverr.
In other words, you will have to treat each order seriously and make sure to deliver accordingly, keeping the client satisfied and getting great ratings and feedback each time.
Unfortunately, the rating system on Fiverr allows buyers to blackmail or harass freelancers with the threat that they will receive bad or negative rating unless they do as they’re told. Of course, this doesn’t happen very often, but it is a possibility and there are freelancers on Fiverr that complaint about such events.
Knowing that a bad rating can ruin one’s reputation on Fiverr, some buyers take advantage of this to push the boundaries of common sense and require work for free or make demands that were not offered by the advertised gig.
So, you will have to be careful, diplomatic, and make sure you know Fiverr’s policy in order to react in the best way to any negative experience you may have.
How does fiverr work for buyers?
As a buyer, you will also have to create a profile on the marketplace and make proof of a payment method, required when looking to place an order for the desired gig. Once you are done, you can search for the desired gig in the category that interests you the most.
On Fiverr, you can find web designers, web developers, musicians, writers, personal assistants, translators, script creators, animators, and so on. The list of freelancing services is long and there are high chances that you will find what you need over here.
When you find a gig you like, you will have to pay for it first before actually placing the order for the selected freelancer. Don’t worry, the money will not be released to the freelancer until you mark the order as complete.
Once you place an order, make sure you provide all the relevant details required for the freelancer to deliver the job you’re looking to get. There is also a messaging section that allows you to chat with freelancers, making sure everything is understood and that the job will be done accordingly.
Once you receive the finished work from the freelancer, you have the chance to check it before deciding if the order was delivered as expected. However, the order will automatically close 3 days after it has been delivered, so it will be harder to request modifications if you are not around during that period.
As you can tell, you can request a modification if the delivered order is not as desired or if it could use some adjustments. However, some freelancers will offer a limited amount of modifications, some will charge for it, while others will just offer it for free.
If everything looks good and you are satisfied with the delivery, you can mark the order as complete and release the payment to the freelancer. Also, you will be offered the chance to leave feedback, rate the service of the freelancer and give them a tip if you like.
Both freelancers and buyers will have to pay fees to Fiverr for orders. Subscribing, creating a profile, and activating on Fiverr is free, but ordering gigs and offering them will generate certain fees. In other words, a freelancer will have to pay a certain percentage to Fiverr from the sum earned from a gig, while buyers will also have to pay a fee when ordering a gig.
As a buyer, you will pay a processing fee of $1 for gigs with values of up to $20 and a 5% fee for gigs over the value of $20. Freelancers pay a fee of 20% of the value of each gig, regardless of its value.
One good example of how this work is for the basic $5 gig. To order such a gig, the buyer will have to pay $6 while the freelancer will get only $4 in the end, once the order is complete.
- You can quickly earn a few bucks with simple tasks, so Fiverr is a good solution if you want to earn some money on the side, in your spare time;
- You don’t need to be an IT or tech specialists in order to work here. As long as you are creative, you can find a section where you can offer services and make some money;
- It is very easy to make money and do what you like, from home, cafes, or anywhere else you want;
- Clients will look for your services, so you won’t have to look for clients or fight in auctions to get a project. Just display and market your gig and clients will come your way;
- There’s the possibility to gain more exposure for your gigs with the help of social media.
- Fiverr is one of the best places to find a wide array of good quality services for lower prices than on any other freelancer marketplaces or platforms. I get very good 1000 word articles for just $15-$20 . It will be $10 but I like to tip my freelancers, especially when they do a good job.
- Even if the results you get are unsatisfying the money paid is minimal in most cases.
- There is a wide array of services and talented freelancers that can get your tasks done at affordable prices and quick too.
- It can be quite difficult to control the gigs you provided. When a gig is purchased, the order is automatically accepted without any further check-ups, so that can get translated in a lot of work in a rather short time, especially if your buyer refuses to extend the time. This can be a lot of pressure so be sure to set your delivery time accordingly, to avoid such problems.
- The rating system of Fiverr can be used in the wrong ways, even if it is helpful. There were cases of freelancers blackmailed through the rating system so that they offer more than was covered by their gigs. Know where to stop accepting the demands of buyers. Know your rights and the rules on Fiverr and learn how to protect yourself from people like this.
- If you are offering a gig that is also provided by other sellers, it may be hard to be notice by potential clients, so you will have to be very creative about it, especially if you are new to Fiverr
- The fee you will have to pay is quite significant, taking into account that most of your clients will go for the $5 gig. If you take a close look at it, freelancers are being used, especially when they are new.
- You will be able to withdraw the earned funds only after a period of 14 days, due to safety reasons, so you can’t cash your earnings right away
- You can have your account suspended in case Fiverr suspects that you violated its internal policy or the Terms & Conditions.
- If you are not happy with the services, fiverr will mediate but you will could end up loosing the dispute and thus your money.
- Not all the ratings of a seller are reliable, as some could have asked their friends to buy a gig and leave positive feedback and good rating in order to increase their reputation
- You will be charged a fee of $1 for every gig you purchase, even if its value is just $5.
As every freelancing marketplace, Fiverr has Pros and Cons. However, it is definitely not a scam and many freelancers managed to create a successful career here. Also, as a buyer, you can get things done in a fast and professional manner with minimum budget. So, even if there might be some risks on each side, Fiverr is definitely worth your attention whether you are looking for affordable services or the possibility to earn money independently